Mac Miller‘s cause of death has been revealed.
The 26-year-old rapper — who was found dead in his Studio City, California, home on Sept. 7 — died of an accidental overdose of fentanyl, cocaine and alcohol, PEOPLE confirmed. The Los Angeles County Department of Medical Examiner-Coroner ruled in a statement released Monday that Miller’s death was accidental and due to mixed drug toxicity.
The autopsy was completed three days after the star’s death and his body was released to his family, according to Los Angeles County coroner’s spokeswoman Sarah Ardalani.
A source previously told PEOPLE Miller, born Malcolm James McCormick, had gone into cardiac arrest after appearing to suffer a drug overdose. At the time, PEOPLE confirmed that paramedics never transported him to a hospital, and he had already died before he was found unresponsive and could not be revived.
Miller’s home was reportedly “swept clean” so that there would be no evidence of drug use, according to TMZ, which also reported that only a small amount of white powder was found in Miller’s home when police searched for clues as to how he died.
At the time, an insider told PEOPLE that Miller, who just dropped his fifth and final studio album Swimming on Aug. 3, spent the evening before his death watching football with friends.
Miller’s casual night with friends seemed so benign, “that’s why this is such a shock,” the insider said. “Everyone who he worked with was aware that he was delicate, but thought it was because of the new album, nerves, nothing like this.”